There are many New York viewpoints which have panoramic and spectacular views of the city, highlighting in many of them the views of the skyline of the southern part of Manhattan full of skyscrapers, considered one of the most beautiful in the world.
And although you can enjoy the best views of Manhattan from terraces of bars or restaurants, hotels, museums or with a helicopter flight, the viewpoints are the most impressive option.
In this list of 5 best viewpoints in New York We have based our experience on the two trips we have made so far to the Big Apple, New York in 11 days and our 40 days in an Airbnb apartment.
1. Top of the Rock
The Top of the Rock is one of the New York's best viewpoints, in addition to our favorite, from which you will have magnificent views of Manhattan. From here you will see how the Empire State stands out in the Big Apple and Central Park, giving us unforgettable views of the city's lung.
This large viewpoint is located in the Rockfeller Center shopping center complex and has a glass area and an open area, which offers incredible views of the entire city.
The Top of the Rock is open every day of the year from 8 in the morning until 12 at night, although the last elevator goes up one hour before closing.
Normally large queues are formed to buy the tickets and you must always go before to reserve the time of ascent, even if you already have the entrance, especially if you want to climb at some peak time.
Admission is included if you have the CityPASS or you can also book it here in advance. In these two cases you will skip the lines, something very important if you do not want to waste time and make the most of the day.
The best time to get on Top of the Rock lookout point It is an hour before sunset. In this way you can enjoy New York in the sunlight to see after the sun goes down, see how it gradually lights up and enjoy New York at night.
2. Brooklyn Heights Promenade
Brooklyn Heights Promenade is a beautiful promenade located on the banks of the East River from which you will enjoy magnificent views of Manhattan, with the Brooklyn Bridge on one side.
As a tip we will tell you that there is nothing better than starting this tour by buying and savoring one of the famous ice creams of Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory.
During the walk you will find benches where you can rest, tables and a lawn area where you can have a picnic with one of the best views of New York.
We recommend touring it before sunset and waiting for the night to come to see the illuminated Manhattan skyline.
At the end of the walk you will see an area where a series of wooden logs emerge from the water. From this point you can take one of the best photos of New York at night.
Towards the northern part of the promenade, crossing the Brooklyn Bridge below, you will find the Empire Fulton Ferry Park area, with several viewpoints to see the Brooklyn Bridge with the Manhattan skyscrapers in the background.
One World Observatory
Other good New York viewpoints
- Book a helicopter tour to fly over the Hudson River and see incredible views of all of Manhattan or this night helicopter ride through the city. Two of the best tours and excursions in New York.
- Take the free ferry to Staten Island with good views of the Manhattan skyline and the Statue of Liberty.
- Book one of these cruises around Manhattan: 3-hour cruise in the morning, sunset cruise or evening cruise with dinner.
- The Metropolitan Museum terrace with good views of Central Park.
- The terraces of the Whitney Museum overlooking the Hudson River and New Jersey.
Hotel and restaurant terraces
- The 230 Fifth Rooftop, one of the New York's best terraces with good views of the Empire State Building.
- Le Bain at The Standard hotel, with good views of the Hudson River and New Jersey.
- The terrace of the William Vale hotel in Williamsburg, with good views of Manhattan.
- The Roosevelt Island cable car, where you can arrive with the Metrocard.
- Crossing the Brooklyn Bridge, good views of the Wall Street area and the Manhattan Bridge.
- Roosevelt Island walks that overlook Manhattan and Queens with their famous Pepsi sign.
- The views of Manhattan from Ellis Island. You can get there by making the famous tour to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.
- Gantry Plaza State Park, a good viewpoint of Manhattan with the Chrysler Building as a reference.
- Taking the ferry to the Governor's Island, with good views of New York.
- Battery Park with incredible views of New Jersey.
- Crossing the Manhattan Bridge with good views of the Brooklyn Bridge, with the background full of Manhattan skyscrapers.
If you feel like helping us complete the list of the 5 best viewpoints in New York, add your recommendations in the comments.